Friday, December 30, 2011

A year of new experiences...


One year ago, I was settled in a comfy job, living in a cabin in the woods, wrapping each day up with a nap while my kids watched television; spending each day just going through the motions. I had it under control. I was boring.

In the last year, my wife and I quit our comfy jobs, moved to Colorado (into an apartment), started pursuing our higher educations (she is getting a PhD in theater, and I am getting my MA in secondary education), visited four foreign countries, and camped and hiked ourselves silly. I published a book that I've been thinking about for a long time, and had a great time discovering the process. I'm going to keep writing and publishing without regard for the low sales numbers. I love setting aside time to live in my imagination. As a parent of three boys (ages 4, 6, and 8), it's difficult to find time to be by myself, and writing is both an excellent excuse to do so and an amazing way to make that time fulfilling.

My children have benefited greatly from this change. they don't notice that we're living on half the money, and frankly, I rarely do either. We've experienced more together as a family in the last six months than in the last three years combined. What could be more valuable than providing your children with positive experience? The more that kids see of what is possible, the more that becomes possible for them as they grow. I know this comes off as self-righteous, but I am proud of this year; I am proud of the courageous decisions that we made as a family.

So, in summary, I'd like to offer up my resolution--the one that I made a year ago, and the one that I will keep building upon and investing in: I will do new things. I will take advantage of opportunities. I will be who I am, not who self-administered platitudes and external negative elements try to make me. I will live at least once.


If you are comfortable, but bored; if every day is the same; if you are still young, but feel that you have less control, less liberty, each day; if any of the above are true, I encourage you to seize that control away from Safety and Comfort. They aren't using it to full effect. They will drown you. Take back your life and use it. After all, I think that you would agree that it is your life, and not vice-versa. It is scary, but you must take the wheel and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment