Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Something you may not know about me #2: I'm a musician...

A lot of the people that follow me on twitter aren't people that I've ever met in the real world. For this reason, I've decided to do a little series called "Something you may not know about me". Each day for the next week ,I will post something that has nothing to do with me as a writer (which I think is where most of my "follows" originate).

So, without further ado:

Tonight's "Something you may not know about me" is related to last night's in that it is music-related. I am a musician. Some of you might argue that I demonstrated last night that I like to make music, but I am one of those snobs who delineates between hip-hop and other musical forms. I think that there is an innate musical aspect to hip-hop, but in my construct, the schema of hip-hop and rap are much more closely related to poetry. Hip-hop is about the word far more than it is about the melody and harmony.

No, tonight I am talking about music. While I enjoy rapping, it's only something that I do because it's fun. I don't have any particular passion for it. Music on the other hand can be completely absorbing for me. I've often spent nine or ten hours recording a song on my computer that is comprised of only guitar and vocal tracks. My favorite way to experience music is in a live setting, either watching or participating--it barely matters to me. I am a music lover. Nothing helps me to transcend my daily ho-hums like watching a group of people acting in perfect synchronicity to deliver a powerful musical composition, and that is a state that I strive to deliver when I sit down with my acoustic guitar. I'm not saying that I do deliver--just that i want to. I'm not recording artist, but I am listenable. Here is an example of some of my "live" music:

"Came Crashing"
Lyrics and music by Adam Hunt


"I Am, I am not"
Lyrics and music by Adam Hunt


And just because some people prefer rock (even if it's poorly constructed)...

"Song #2"
Rhythm Guitars and Bass: Aaron Hlusko
Lead Guitar by Adam Hunt
Drums: Aaron and Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment